Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Coping in the Modern World


Unemployment    Health Care    Government Corruption    Devalued Dollar    Depression

The politicians all say the economy is improving.  From my perspective that is wishful thinking on their parts.  Everywhere I look, I see people out of work, work hours shortened, insurance woes, and skyrocketing living costs eating up declining incomes.  Apparently, politicians think if you work at McDonalds or receive unemployment you have no incentive to find a better job because you have all the money you need.  I'd like to see them survive on that.  I have friends in other countries who are going through the same things.  It seems the only way to insure you can survive is to own your own business.  At least you can't be fired if your name is on the door.

I recently started a part time job (the only one I could get since I'm over 40).  It is with a financial planning company who helps senior citizens get their affairs in order and hopefully arranged so they can live comfortably.  We see many older widows who have resorted to house sitting, pet sitting, and driving others to doctor appointments for a few extra dollars.  People regularly call the office hoping for help with just day to day living needs.  One woman wanted someone to come vacuum her house once a week. 

As a Christian, I believe we should help people and would have a hard time charging someone to do something like vacuuming.  Where are her friends, family members, and neighbors?  Still, most people don't really know their neighbors these days.  I wave when I see them and say hello, but in four years of living in the same house, it hasn't gone beyond that.  People don't like to admit they need help and in many cases would rather hire someone to vacuum than to inconvenience their family or friends.

Here's a challenge for you.  If you are able or if you have teens who need to learn to serve others (I think that is a valuable lesson), volunteer to help an older person.  Do it with a smile and don't accept pay for menial tasks.  Just visiting with an older person a few minutes a week is something they look forward to.  The youth can't see it now, but when they are older, they will understand all too well.

Here's a perfect example of what I mean.  I am from Arkansas and one winter day just before Christmas, my father was coming home from town when he noticed a car that had slipped into the ditch.  He was in his pick-up truck and had chains in the back, and stopped to see if he could help.  The people in the car were from Detroit and had come to visit family for Christmas.  After he pulled them out of the ditch, they tried to pay him.  He said, "No.  If I were in the ditch, you'd have stopped to help me."  Of course, the visitors were astounded that a stranger would stop in the first place and then refuse pay on top of it.  A few months later, he ran into the same people out in town.  "Remember us?"  They said.  "You stopped and pulled us out of the ditch."  He remembered them and said hello.  "We were so impressed by how people are around here that we moved here!"

So here's what I get from that true story.  Treat people like you'd like to be treated.  One day you will be old and may need help getting out of a ditch or need your house vacuumed.  Help others, and remember, it truly is more blessed to give than to receive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog