Saturday, May 11, 2013

Fashion and the Movies

Last night I went with a friend to see The Great Gatsby. 
 
The scenery was exquisite, the costumes were incredible and Leonardo Di Caprio gets better and better as time goes by.  I found myself wishing I could rewind and slow it down to take in all the details of everything, especially the clothing, makeup, and jewelry.
 
Gatsby's house was unimaginable for most of us.  I found the little cottage out back where Toby Maguire lived to be much more appealing.
 
But I want to talk about the fashions.  I've always loved the Art Deco age.  The clothing has very simple lines, but made with exquisite fabric or lavishly embellished.  The dress in the photo above had an overlay of clear beads.  These weren't tiny bugle beads, but grape sized baubles that really caught the light.  I am sure it must have felt like sitting on rocks when Daisy sat down.  Maybe she stood for this entire scene.
Here's the perfect example of a simple slip dress with embellishments either beaded, painted, or printed on the dress.  There seems to be a cape attached at the shoulders and head dressing was popular to embellish the simple hair styles of the time.
 
Another example from Pinterest of a simple dress made in a lush fabric.
 
 
Sheer fabrics in layers were seen in many of the scenes of the movie, like this gorgeous aqua number, but it is still a simple column of gorgeous fabric. 
I have searched and searched for a good shot of this robe that Daisy wore.  It was lined in white satin and had white applique across the back and on the sleeves - my favorite costume and one I would love to copy.
 
I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and all it had to offer, in spite of the tragic nature of the story.  If these styles appeal to you, they would be very simple to sew up and take very little time to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog