Friday, June 13, 2014

What to Do When You Need A Large Recipe Card File

I love to cook and over the years, my cook book selection has grown to be quite large.  We recently moved and I realized it was time to do some paring down. (There is nothing like a move to let you see how much junk you've accumulated!)   I had kept many of the cook books around for years, but only used one or two recipes from them.  It was then that I decided to put the recipes I liked on recipe cards and get rid of some of the books.

One day I was in Target and looked for a recipe card box, but didn't find a single one.  While browsing in the household section, I noticed a square napkin holder.  I'd already picked up a couple of packages of 4 x 6 inch index cards, and when I tried them, they were a perfect fit for the napkin holder.
I cut dividers from some old file folders and began the arduous task of writing down all the recipes I had stuffed in various folders, cook books, and drawers.  When I put them in the holder, the support bars made them sit crooked. 

What to do?  A piece of black craft foam in my craft stash was just the solution needed to level off the bottom.

Often, I couldn't remember in which cook book the recipe I wanted was located.  The card file is much handier than having to look through several books and small enough to stay in the kitchen rather than the book shelf.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog