Saturday, January 3, 2015

Creature Comforts

If you follow this blog you'll notice that I haven't posted in several months.  My amazing, wonderful husband passed away in July and the past months have been nothing short of horrific. It is always sad when someone dies, but this was much more than anything I'd ever experienced.

I began reading grief books to help me cope.  Some were helpful and others not so much.  But one short article struck a chord with me.  "Get yourself some creature comforts."  It said.  When you are going through so much physical and mental stress, grief, and pain, it does help to baby yourself.

I've always been the one to say, "take care of yourself, or you won't be any good for your family."  Even in the best of times, women take on more than we should to make sure that everyone in the family is taken care of.  Consequently, we need to take care of ourselves.  Do something each day that gives you pleasure, rest, or recharges your soul.  Don't feel guilty about taking a bubble bath or reading in bed or spending time alone or working on a hobby.   Take a few minutes for yourself each day.  You won't regret it and neither will your family.
When the children are small, this is sometimes hard to do, but I remember looking forward to going to the grocery store when my children were little.  For an hour each week, my husband took care of them, and even though I was still doing a chore that had to get done, I was alone and it was quiet.  For an hour, no one was crying or needing to be changed or played with or pulling on me or whining to be held.  Don't get me wrong, I loved being with my children, but we all need a little down time once in a while.  It's therapeutic.

For the past few months have needed much more than that.  I invested in one of those memory foam mattress toppers.  It has helped my aching body by taking a little stress of the old joints.

The older I get, the more important comfort is in anything I purchase: shoes, underwear, soft textiles, and furniture.   Now I will be forging ahead with a life that is unrecognizable to me, but I will be doing it with a good night's sleep.  My life has had more twists and turns than a corkscrew, so I never know what to expect.  My advice to you is to get yourself some creature comforts and don't feel guilty about taking a few minutes for yourself each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog