Wednesday, August 29, 2012

September is National Sewing Month

September is National Sewing Month, which means you'll be able to find some great deals on sewing machines, fabrics, patterns, and notions. 
 
I mention this, because sewing is a great skill to have!  When times get tough, you can alter clothing, make clothing and household items from scratch, and repair clothing for your family.
 
I'll be showing some easy projects for everyone to see as we go along.  If you don't have a sewing machine, I recommend one with a back stitch to tie ends, zig-zag to finish edges, straight stitch, and separate feet for darning, zipper foot, and basic foot at least.  In addition, you'll need a good pair of sewing scissors (not to be used for anything else), thimble, machine needles, a variety of thread, pins, hem gauge, seam ripper, and measuring tape.  These are the very basics and as you learn and expand your sewing repertoire, you'll probably need additional things for different projects.
 
If you have been sewing all along, you probably have a stash of fabrics and patterns purchased along the way that you haven't gotten to.  Most seamstresses buy things on sale or with the intention of making clothing.  When lean times hit, my stash has gotten me through more than once.  It's so nice if you can't afford to go to the mall, to be able to sort through your fabrics and make a unique new item to perk up your wardrobe. 
 
Over the years, I've made everything from three piece mens suits to quilts, baby clothing, dresses, costumes, and countless other things.  Yes, sewing is a good thing to know how to do. 

2 comments:

  1. Hello
    Thank you so much for stopping by!
    I agree with you wholeheartedly - no one knows how to sew today and I would have been so lost had I not known how to sew! Especially with 5 girls.
    Wishing you a lovely day
    Blessings
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on my 4th sewing machine and can't imagine not having one. I had a wonderful home-ec teacher and wish they still taught it in schools.

      Delete

Search This Blog