Monday, January 14, 2013

The Almost Lost Art of Tatting

When I was about eight years old, my grandmother tried to teach me how to tat.  She made beautiful tatted lace that she used to edge fine linen handkerchiefs.  I wish I'd had the opportunity to learn from her when I was older. 
My hand coordination at eight wasn't developed enough to master tatting.  It's amazing that a tiny metal shuttle can create such beautiful delicate lace, especially since the art originated with fishermen who wove fishing nets with a series of knots.

Knitting has seen a huge resurgence in popularity in recent years, and I hope this beautiful art will resurrect itself as well.  It would be a shame for it to die out. 

Do any of you know how to tat? ********** P.S. I had a comment from Jon at www.tatsaway.blogspot.com. His blog Tat-a-Renda is all about tatting. I am pleased to know that there are still tatters out there. Check out his blog for directions and many examples of fine work.

3 comments:

  1. Tatting is making a comeback in recent years and I keep reading of new tatters everyday. You can read about some of them on the blog 25 motif challenge.
    If you want to learn how to tat, you can find out more from the Online Tatting Class.
    The forum InTatters is also a good resource centre for tatting.
    Tatting is not going to die, it is alive all over the world and tatters are getting well-connected through the internet. I would love to be able to connect with you too, if you need any help on learning to tat. Do check my blog for more tatting, Tat-a-Renda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jon, for this information. I am glad to know that Tatting is alive and well, and I'll definitely check out your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks man for published such a nice review. i really like it.
    Yacht Charter Dubai

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog