Monday, September 3, 2012

Broccoli - Not Just Flowerettes

How many times have you purchased broccoli, cut the flowerettes off and thrown the stems in the trash?  I do it all the time.  Then I noticed those little bags of broccoli slaw in the produce section. 
 
If times get as bad as some are predicting, you won't want to waste a thing, and it turns out the stems are pretty tasty too.  When my husband and I got married, my stepson was eight.  I made broccoli for dinner one night and he told me, "Oh.  I only eat the stems."  The next time I made broccoli, I steamed the flowerettes for dinner, but I chopped the stems and cooked them for him.  I placed the bowl of stems beside his plate.  When he sat down at the table he said, "What's this?"  If looks could kill, I would have dropped dead from the one he gave me when I told him, "Those are broccoli stems.  I cooked them just for you."  Over the years I disguised veggies under a layer of cheese, chopped them into miniscule pieces that couldn't be picked out, and anything else I could think of to get him to eat them.  I'm happy to report he now eats ALL the vegetables except brussels sprouts.  Now, back to the broccoli stems.

After you've cut off the crown, peel the stem with a vegetable peeler and rinse.  I didn't bother to get in between the little stems on top, but you can if you want.  Grate the stems with a box grater or food processor.  This one little stem made enough for one serving of cole slaw.









It's also enough to garnish a couple of barbecue sandwiches.  Add a little carrot or some red cabbage for some color.

You could use the shredded broccoli in stir fries and it would be perfect to use in egg roll filling.  You could even throw some into the pot when making stock or soup.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog