Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Ironing Water

 
 
 
Do you hate to iron?  I used to dread it, but a few  years ago I got a Rowenta iron.  Before that, I burned up an iron a year.  Other manufacturers have improved their steam output, so there may be other brands that compare to the Rowenta, but I'm really sold on mine.  I'm still using it after 17 years, so it was worth every penny and irons clothing twice as good in half the time.  How's that for an endorsement?   I use my iron when sewing to press down every seam and I usually iron everything we wear when we leave the house.  Pressed clothing looks so much nicer than unpressed.  I've never seen a no-iron garment that didn't look better if you ironed it.
 
My grandmother used to iron everything - even the sheets and pillow cases.  Her ironing always smelled good. 
 
Here's a really easy linen water recipe that will make ironing an aromatherapy experience.
 
4 drops lavender essential oil
1/4 cup unflavored Vodka
about 3 1/2 cups distilled water
spray bottle
 
Just put everything in the spray bottle and shake it up.  You can omit the Vodka if you want.  It helps the water evaporate faster and can be used to remove odors from clothing with no detrimental effects to fabric.  Let the linen water sit overnight before you use it.  If you want more scent, you can add it, but start with a light touch.  You can always add more.  Mist the fabric lightly.  When the hot iron hits the damp fabric the scent rises.
 
I've been making aprons to give away.  I ironed them with Ironing Water and folded them.  I'm hoping the scent will waft up when they are opened. 
 
 
 
After making one for me, I liked it so much I made several others.  They are addictive.  Must be the rick rack that brings back memories of cute shorts and tops from childhood trimmed with this nostalgic trim. http://anamericanhomemaker.blogspot.com/2012/10/in-love-with-rick-rack.html
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog